Personal Injury Lawyer Mascoutah
Have you suffered injuries or damage from someone else’s careless or intentional actions or were harmed by dangerous or defective products? At Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, we have experience maneuvering through challenging personal injury claims. We will fight to make sure that your claim is litigated and managed as efficiently and as quickly as possible so that you can resume your life again.
What Is A Personal Injury Claim?
During a personal injury claim, there are several elements that must be proven by the injured party in order to be awarded financial compensation. These elements include:
- Duty of care: The at-fault party has a legal duty to behave responsibly. For example, if they are driving, it is their duty of care to obey the laws of the road and pay attention to traffic.
- Breached duty of care: The party responsible for your injuries failed to exercise a reasonable duty of care. For example, by driving drunk, or not keeping their store dry and free of clutter.
- Cause in fact: As the injured party, the evidence you compiled must show that the defendant’s actions are the cause of the accident and your injuries.
- Proximate cause: This means that any responsible and cautious person would know that a breach in their duty of care would lead to injuries. Again, choosing to drink and drive can likely lead to an accident.
- Damages suffered: When the defendant’s actions have resulted in damages and injury, you can seek reimbursement for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Suffering an injury because of someone else’s actions can throw a wrench in your life. Not only do you have to deal with the pain and suffering caused by your injury, but you might also find yourself facing insurmountable medical bills and expenses while being unable to work. This situation could put you and your loved ones under an overwhelming amount of stress.
The personal injury lawyers of Hipskind & McAninch, LLC are here and want to help you. Our Mascoutah law firm focuses primarily on helping injured victims and their families throughout Illinois.
A claim arises when you or a family member is hurt due to the reckless, intentional, or negligent wrongdoing of another individual, company, animal owner, or government agency. In the State of Illinois, you are entitled to seek total and fair compensation for your losses.
Call us today to discuss your rights, legal advice, and what you can expect when you hire us as your legal representation.
We treat each of our clients with compassion, care, and professionalism. We provide the personalized attention you deserve and take the time to get to know you. We will answer any questions you may have, and we will keep you up to date throughout each stage of your case.
Types of Personal Injury Case
Here are several kinds of personal injury cases that our law firm will pursue:
- Auto Accidents — Car accidents are serious wrecks that can happen in the blink of an eye. On top of the physical suffering, you may face medical and financial expenses, adding to the stress you are already dealing with. Hiring an experienced attorney in Mascoutah can mean the difference between a complete recovery and years of stressful legal battles.
- Truck Accidents—Given the size and weight of commercial vehicles, it’s no wonder that truck wrecks often lead to devastating injuries, damage, and death. If you or someone you love has been catastrophically injured due to a truck driver’s carelessness or inexperience, contact a Clair county personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Motorcycle Accidents—Motorcycles do not have the protective barrier that motor vehicles do; as such, any accident can easily result in catastrophic injuries.
- Slip and Falls—Property owners are required to keep their premises clutter- and accident-free. If you have tripped over a broken sidewalk, unkempt floor, or more and suffered an injury, then call your personal injury attorney right away.
- Dram Shop—If a drunk driver hits you and causes an injury, you can sue the at-fault driver for personal injury. Dram shop laws allow you to hold a third party (commonly a restaurant, bar, or club) responsible for a death or personal injury claim. Please note that the third-party establishment can only be held liable if they served a patron while knowing they were drunk. This doesn’t hold for patrons who were not in the vicinity of the bar and had other people buy them drinks. Dram shop refers to any business that serves alcohol. Victims can sue an establishment that over-served alcohol to a driver who later drove intoxicated and caused an accident. You must be able to show that the patron was clearly intoxicated to the point of being a danger to themselves or others and that their intoxication resulted in a crash and injuries. These claims can be difficult to prove, but if you are a victim of drunk driving, you could seek to file a claim against the establishment as well.
- Nursing Home Negligence—We trust the nurses, healthcare workers, and nursing home facilities to make the right choices regarding the health and care of our loved ones. When they don’t, they should be held accountable for any medical issues that come up.
- Dog Bites— Illinois law states in 510 ILCS 5/16 that “the owner of such a dog or other animal is liable” for injuries caused by dog bites.
- Serious Injuries—A severe injury means a severe impairment of your physical condition due to someone else’s recklessness. Injuries can include concussion, loss of consciousness, broken bones, internal bleeding, loss of limbs, or spinal cord injuries.
- Workers Compensation—Workers hurt in a workplace accident shouldn’t have to stress about their employment status, how they will pay their medical expenses, or provide for their family. Workers’ compensation laws are created to protect workers’ rights when they are injured. At Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, we are here to get you the benefits you deserve so you can move forward with your life.
- Medical Malpractice—Medical malpractice occurs when your doctor or medical professional orders unnecessary treatment or tests, fails to diagnose or misdiagnoses, delays treatment, makes anesthetic or surgical errors, doesn’t provide adequate aftercare, and more. When your healthcare provider makes a grave mistake, it can lead to years of pain, suffering, emotional trauma, and inability to work.
- Wrongful Death—Your personal injury lawyer at At Hipskind & McAninch, LLC believes in pursuing wrongful claims in Illinois. If a loved one has passed because of the careless and thoughtless actions of a person, company, or government agency, let our lawyers help.
We are proud to offer the residents of Illinois outstanding legal guidance.
Damages You May Be Entitled to Receive
There are two classifications of damages that can be granted in a personal injury claim: punitive damages and compensatory damages.
A court sometimes awards punitive damages in the case of extreme recklessness and to prevent the liable party from harming others again. These are meant to punish the negligent party for their actions.
Compensatory damages are awarded to the injured party to help them recover their life as it was before financial setbacks like medical bills, lost wages, and more. Compensatory damages can include economic and non-economic damages.
An experienced attorney will help you recover compensation for the following:
- Loss of consortium
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Harm to one’s quality of life
Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer Mascoutah Today
If you have been in a catastrophic accident that wasn’t your fault, you don’t have to suffer silently. If another individual caused your injury, you need a personal injury attorney to fight for your rights.
You need a Mascoutah injury attorney to fight for and defend your rights if you’ve been injured by another individual, regardless of how the incident happened, . You need to be aware of the laws that can be used to validate your case and what the statutes of limitations in Illinois are.
At Hipskind & McAninch, LLC, our experienced personal injury lawyers will work with you to compile a case to help you effectively pursue your claim. Our lawyers understand the complexities involved in personal injury cases and the need for supporting evidence. So contact us if you suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence.