Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist

Getting into an accident is a tough experience regardless of the outcome, but it can be even worse when you realize that the person you were in a crash with is either uninsured or underinsured, meaning that there may not be the funds available to compensate you in the way that you rightfully deserve. However, just because the other driver made such an irresponsible and dangerous decision to operate a vehicle without the proper insurance does not mean that you, as a law-abiding citizen, need to be penalized. In fact, it is a law in Missouri that you have uninsured motorist coverage as part of your base motorist liability coverage.

When you are in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured motorist (or you are involved in a hit and run where you are unable to determine the identity of the other driver), then you will need to file a claim through your own insurance in order to collect the amount that you truly need in order to settle your outstanding debts and accumulated financial issues resulting from your accident. Your policy will have certain limits, but when you are working with a personal injury and car accident attorney, you will have the legal support that you need in order to work through your claim and get the amount of money that you deserve.

Read more below to get an idea of how the process could go when you are seeking compensation after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist in St. Louis or the surrounding areas. Contact our law firm as soon as possible to schedule an initial consultation where you will be able to learn more about how we can help you through this situation specifically, as well as to have an opportunity where you can ask questions and seek advice on how to best move forward effectively.

Crash Incident

What To Do After an Accident With an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist

Stay Calm

After an accident, you will need to exchange information with the other driver including their contact information, vehicle registration information, and their car insurance policy information. It is at this point where you will likely discover that they do not have insurance, which can be both shocking and alarming. It is very important that you remain calm after learning this information, knowing that there is plenty of help available. Emotions are high after an accident, and the situation can become very tense and possibly even dangerous when you or the other driver escalates.

Call 911

Make sure that you contact 911 after the accident, and when they arrive on the scene they will be able to issue the relevant citations and take the appropriate legal steps necessary for an uninsured driver. This will give you the opportunity to have your injuries attended to by the EMTs, and all of the information that goes into the police and accident reports will be very helpful when you begin to work with an attorney and determine the next steps for your situation.

Get the Appropriate Medical Attention

In addition to taking the appropriate steps at the scene of the accident, you will likely need to see your primary care physician in order to have additional medical care administered and to make sure that you are monitoring your recovery. Every piece of information that you are able to gather through official channels will contribute to the overall clarity of your case, which will be very helpful for your car accident lawyer in St. Louis.

Contact Hipskind & McAninch, LLC As Soon As Possible

Once you have taken care of your immediate injuries and you are able to start thinking about your long-term plan, the most important thing to do is to contact a personal injury attorney in St. Louis who is experienced with uninsured or underinsured motorist accidents. We will be able to guide you through the rest of this process with clarity and confidence and take all the necessary steps to get you the outcome that you deserve.